BREAKING: Former Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf Has Been Indicted In The Assassination of Former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto
A Pakistani court indicted Pervez Musharraf in the 2007 assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, escalating legal challenges to the ex-military dictator since he ended his self-exile in March.
A judge read out charges that Musharraf was complicit in Bhutto’s killing as he failed to provide adequate security at a political rally she was attending, state-run Pakistan Television reported, citing court proceedings. Six other people were also indicted and the hearing was adjourned till Aug. 27.
The former president was brought to a special anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi, near the capital, under tight security after his lawyers warned of threats to his life, PTV reported. Musharraf survived at least four assassination attempts by Islamic extremists while in power from 1999 to 2008.
Musharraf, who returned to Pakistan in an unsuccessful bid to contest May’s parliament election, is also facing possible prosecution over his suspension of the country’s constitution toward the end of his rule and the death of a Baluch separatist leader, Nawab Akbar Bugti. He has been kept under house arrest in Islamabad since his arrest April 19.
The former army chief seized power after overthrowing the government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in a 1999 coup and stepped down as president in 2008 to avoid impeachment charges. He left Pakistan and lived mainly in London and Dubai for more than four years.
Bidding for a political comeback, Musharraf vowed to fight the election that brought Sharif back to power, only to be barred from standing by poll officials citing his emergency decree of 2007.
Bhutto was killed in a gun and suicide bomb attack at a rally in Rawalpindi in December 2007. A United Nations report, released in 2010, said her death may have been prevented had security forces taken proper steps after death threats were made against her.
Musharraf’s administration said former Pakistani Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud ordered Bhutto’s murder after she criticized the Taliban for terrorist attacks in Pakistan and announced she would help the U.S. eliminate the group.
The Pakistani chief prosecutor investigating the Bhutto case was shot dead May 3 by unidentified gunmen in Islamabad while he was heading for a hearing.
120 Notes/ Hide
- crusadings reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- herblondness likes this
- 3rd-street-downtown likes this
- brightfell reblogged this from bookoisseur
- wolfdancer likes this
- liberalwithguts likes this
- crankyfacedknitter likes this
- demonweasel reblogged this from bookoisseur
- imoverthinkingitagain reblogged this from bookoisseur
- saisaiz likes this
- arsenikitty reblogged this from bookoisseur
- alice44 likes this
- mjbenitez reblogged this from bobbycaputo
- eclecticdreamweaver likes this
- lafilleauxyeuxtropvrais reblogged this from bobbycaputo
- baebl reblogged this from kylegreggy
- discoviolin reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- arrhythmiaa likes this
- youngnotuseless likes this
- profchach likes this
- csinger5ever reblogged this from bookoisseur
- chunderous reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- purplegem reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- randomactsofchaos reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- randomactsofchaos likes this
- notanearlyadopter reblogged this from epicpseudonym
- indifferenceisnofun likes this
- thecogsmith likes this
- missdreamsnfears likes this
- heroicallyfound reblogged this from kylegreggy
- yemelesshaecceity likes this
- bobbycaputo reblogged this from bookoisseur
- epicpseudonym reblogged this from bookoisseur
- vvendybird reblogged this from bookoisseur
- bookoisseur reblogged this from laughterkey
- laughterkey reblogged this from kylegreggy
- kylegreggy reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- laundryfreshskars reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- anothernerdfighterinthetardis reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- randycwhite reblogged this from secularhumanist2
- randycwhite likes this
- soiledphotos likes this
- letinout likes this
- youremystarshine reblogged this from witchbladehost
- sugarkat reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- calliorth likes this
- son-of-fox likes this
- jsarevisited likes this
- andybrwn likes this
- thoughtsofnolana reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow and added: