After 9/11, Sikhs, Hindus and Arabs began to see an increase in the amount of hate crimes directed toward their groups. This is a problem the FBI has finally decided to formally address.
An FBI advisory board met on Wednesday in Portsmouth, Va., and voted to widen the scope of the hate crime police reports used nationwide to include these three groups. This change will greatly help law enforcement more accurately report hate crimes, not to mention offer better protection for Sikhs, Hindus and Arabs against religious or race-motivated crimes.
Advocates for the three groups are pleased with the decision and hope that law enforcement officials will be better able to distinguish the differences among them.
"We can’t go to policy makers or law enforcement to make the case about crimes against our communities unless we have the official data," said Rajdeep Singh, director of law and policy for a civil rights group called the Sikh Coalition.
The group has pressured law enforcement officials to take action against the underreported hate crimes against Sikhs for more than two years. Individuals who practice the Sikh religion often have similar appearances to Muslims, as men of both religions wear turbans and grow their beards long.
Many violent anti-Sikh incidents have occurred in California, New York, Florida and Washington, but the most notable was the attack last August in Oak Creek, Wisc., when six Sikh worshippers were shot inside a temple by a white supremacist.
"After 9/11 in the Arab-American community, the fact that hate crimes increased is no secret," said Abed Ayoub, legal director for the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee. "But we were running into underreporting by community members. They wouldn’t come forward because they felt nobody would listen or count them."
Currently, the only religion-motivated hate crimes the FBI tracks are against Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Muslims and atheists/agnostics. According to the 2011 FBI religious hate crime statistics, most reported crimes were against Jews, but more than 10 percent of the crimes are for unspecified religions. This decision will likely help clarify the “unspecified” religious groups, which in turn will help the communities that advocated for better protection.
232 Notes/ Hide
- think4yaself reblogged this from sinderhella
- tigertraceur reblogged this from sinderhella
- tigertraceur likes this
- sinderhella reblogged this from akingsword
- akingsword reblogged this from zirryani
- akingsword likes this
- the-angel-in-my-nightmare reblogged this from zirryani
- zirryani reblogged this from zouminati
- zouminati reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- ileftmyhijabintokyo reblogged this from faineemae
- sbinthecity reblogged this from acceptingamerican
- my-mark-lasts-for-infinity reblogged this from faineemae
- uncrossing likes this
- thirstywhiplash reblogged this from faineemae
- crocodileblackpelvis reblogged this from flawlessescape
- thequeenwino reblogged this from faineemae
- egonightmare reblogged this from faineemae
- brightstartheory reblogged this from faineemae
- onelastwaltz likes this
- dollfacednightmare reblogged this from moneystcroix
- sisbee reblogged this from glitter-gauze
- moneystcroix reblogged this from faineemae
- allysonbatis reblogged this from faineemae and added:
- herwrittenfate likes this
- freeasthepaperburns reblogged this from eb-n-flo
- seebster likes this
- vegetablearian likes this
- flawlessescape reblogged this from aestheticintrovert
- its-called-lollipopping reblogged this from twoshibaswalkedintoabar and added:
- twinkleyell reblogged this from faineemae
- twoshibaswalkedintoabar reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- twoshibaswalkedintoabar likes this
- zietcheerocks reblogged this from walk-like-an-egyptian
- zietcheerocks likes this
- brownpeopleproblems likes this
- theknightinthetardis reblogged this from notcharmed
- arshiwawa reblogged this from faineemae and added:
- yourtotalself likes this
- seatentsina reblogged this from technologistrevolution
- 6-2-midnight reblogged this from faineemae
- technologistrevolution reblogged this from yourarabmother
- tic-tac926 reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- umph reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- yuukidazerofan likes this
- thenastiestgal reblogged this from yourarabmother
- triforceofeloquence likes this
- talkinggibberish likes this
- stuckonfckingyou reblogged this from mia-the-wonder-slut