To Those People Who Think Being Gay Is a Choice…
I have debated over and over whether I should write this post, but I have finally decided to do so.
Anti-gay bigots and so-called Christian conservatives have twisted the Word of God into something that is completely the opposite of what God intended to tell his followers, especially those that are struggling with identifying their own personal sexual orientations.
Science has long decided that a person’s sexual orientation is given to them at birth. Seeing as there are lots of different sexual orientations and sexual identities, one would be inclined to deduce that homosexuality would be included in such a discussion.
Part of the anti-gay bigotry that flows rampant through a segment of “Christian” theology and ministry makes the bold claim that “being gay is a choice,” or that “a person can choose to be gay.” Seeing as a person can’t choose to be straight, that argument falls on its face by linguistics alone.
Anti-gay bigots claim that homosexuals aren’t born homosexuals. Science, on the other hand, tells a different story.
Biological factors independent from the formation of an embryo in a human mother’s womb affect a child’s gender and sexual orientation. It’s not like an embryo or a fetus can choose what they want to be in the womb. Much like how body parts are formed in the womb, a person’s gender and sexuality forms in the womb as well.
Here’s a point-by-point blow of why an anti-gay fundamentalist bigot’s thinking of gay “being a choice” is wrong:
· First of all, the actual meeting of sperm and egg that is traditionally known as conception cannot be choosed by the person who eventually develops in the womb. The person doesn’t exist yet. How then could a person choose being born?
· Second, environmental factors outside and independent of a mother’s womb affects how a child develops in the womb. Certain factors can contribute to a person’s sexual orientation. Scientists have found that in families of more than five boys that the youngest boy is found to be born homosexual. This is due to the mother’s body responding to the amount of pregnancies that have occurred. The last child receives more genetic material from the mother in the womb, hence making them born-gay.
· Third, a child, once they are born, can’t choose or even communicate with their parents other than through sounds and motions. A child normally doesn’t talk until the age of 3, and several LGBT Americans state that they knew they were gay at the age of three. Science backs this up. Due to the fact that the child doesn’t understand adult conversations at the age of three, they can’t fully comprehend gender or sexual orientation. This flies in the face of the GOP’s logic that the kids must have been told that they were gay by their parents. Kids at that age have no comprehension of adult material. None whatsoever.
· Fourth, children usually don’t have outside influence by other kids or adults until the age of four or five, when they enter Pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten. Most times, other kids are straight and still have no understanding of what homosexuality is and what it entails. Still too early for someone on the outside to influence a child into saying they are gay.
· Fifth, children don’t have a full understanding of sexuality until after puberty. Other kids may say things about homosexuality, but the children have no understanding of it until puberty. Puberty is the time when children first discover their bodies, other person’s bodies, and how reproductive and sexual organs work.
· Sixth, a person can’t control their groinal response to outside stimuli. A person can become aroused by something and they have no sexual interest in that stimulus whatsoever. A person can’t choose when their sexual organs will respond, especially when they are growing teenagers. Their hormones are rampant, due to them being formed for the first time.
· Seventh, scientists have determined that a collection of environmental, biological, and hormonal factors lead to a person’s sexual orientation being formed at an early age, without any mental input on their own part.
· Eighth, a person’s sexual orientation cannot be learned. It occurs for reasons above. A person can’t learn to be gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, etc.
· Ninth, growing evidence has surmounted that a homosexual orientation is genetically predisposed, much like the disposition of medical conditions such as cancer, asthma, heart disease, etc. Much like a person can’t choose whether they suffer from medical conditions and disorders, a person can’t choose which sexual orientation they are.
· Tenth, studies have shown that sexual orientation has a larger genetic dependency for formation than the genetic trait for left-handedness or right-handedness.
· Eleventh, studies have shown that bisexual men respond to sexual stimuli in the exact same manner as heterosexual women attracted to heterosexual men.
All of my bullet points above can easily be found in a Google search. Most of it is common sense, something that GOPers are lacking in.
You are more than welcome to helping me correct any errors that I have in this post. All arguments and discussions are warranted.
15 Notes/ Hide
- jof reblogged this from thehereticalway
- kodonadragonite reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- poortranslations likes this
- ontologicalshakedown likes this
- saintbeardy reblogged this from thehereticalway
- thehereticalway reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- thatdudewiththeplan likes this
- keepingitrealsince1980 likes this
- askthesandgecko likes this
- hcshannon likes this
- thepoliticalfreakshow posted this