After 18 Years, Violence Against Women Act Is Saving Countless Lives...And Of Course the GOP Wants It to Go Away!!!
For many victims of domestic abuse, the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) has been a resounding success, and a lifeline. Since then-Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) wrote the legislation in 1994, the country’s infrastructure for dealing with rape and abuse has vastly improved, saving countless women’s lives and livelihoods.
As the country celebrates the 18th anniversary of the legislation, here are some of the victories achieved through VAWA:
- Victims can call for help. The National Domestic Violence Hotline was established as part of VAWA. It currently serves over 22,000 victims a month and has taken a total of 3 million calls.
- Law enforcement officers are trained to help victims. 500,000 law enforcement officials, judges, and prosecutors a year are trained with VAWA funding to help domestic abuse victims.
- Partner violence and homicides fell. From the year before VAWA’s passage until 2008, the number of women being killed by partners dropped 43 percent, and partner violence against women fell 53 percent.
- Stalking became illegal. Before VAWA, stalking was not a federal crime. The law established stalking as a felony offense.
- Rape is rape, no exceptions. Since the passage of VAWA, each state in the United States has updated its laws so that rape by a partner is treated equally to rape by a stranger.
But the outlook for VAWA is not quite as positive as its retrospective. A reauthorization of the law is currently embroiled in a partisan fight between Republicans and Democrats. Different versions of the bill have passed the House and Senate, but the two chambers appear unable to come to consensus on a final bill — in large part because Republicans will not accept expansions to the program that would aide Native Americans, LGBT victims, and undocumented immigrants.
45 Notes/ Hide
- god--made--man reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow and added:
- adrianerc reblogged this from hermione-ganja
- abitharpish likes this
- dearsan-francisco reblogged this from hermione-ganja
- heartbread reblogged this from hermione-ganja
- hermione-ganja likes this
- hermione-ganja reblogged this from coolsideofpillo
- combustamove likes this
- misspiggybundy likes this
- ourloveisgod-letsgogetaslushie likes this
- michaelheartsdiego reblogged this from montrealmighteatitsyoung
- xthatoneweirdox likes this
- distractedandclueless reblogged this from localcreature
- localcreature reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- callmecoco likes this
- missgingerlee likes this
- jonnyborg reblogged this from dorkatron and added:
- jonnyborg likes this
- binbouda reblogged this from glampersand
- dorkatron reblogged this from montrealmighteatitsyoung
- hypnicjerkoff likes this
- montrealmighteatitsyoung reblogged this from supersoygrrrl
- montrealmighteatitsyoung likes this
- hairypitsandtits likes this
- coolsideofpillo reblogged this from kitteh-neon-is-chemically-inert
- glampersand reblogged this from team-joebama and added:
- glampersand likes this
- team-joebama reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow and added:
- stevenspielburger reblogged this from jillbiden
- fronkey likes this
- maximiliani likes this
- breatheeasyfriend likes this
- carlyosaurus reblogged this from jillbiden and added:
- quickhits likes this
- jillbiden reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- jillbiden likes this
- thestillplace likes this
- thepoliticalfreakshow posted this