Pennsylvania woman faces $600 a day fine for feeding needy children
A woman in Chester Township, Pennsylvania has been warned that she could be fined as much as $600 a day if she continues to feed needy children in her community.
Angela Prattis has been feeding lunch to as many as 60 children a day under a program funded by the state’s Department of Education and administered by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. But because Prattis allowing the children to come to her home, Chester Township has threatened fines of $600 a day if she continues to hand out the lunches, which consist of a sandwich, fruit and milk.
Prattis told KPLC that the town sent her a letter stating she needed a variance to use her personal residence.
“It’s a letter stating, ‘shut it down or face a $600 fine,’” she explained.
“We’re talking about children,” Prattis added. “Children. It’s unbelievable. They’ve never once said anything to me in reference to what to do to be in the right standing with the township.”
Chester Township business manager Bill Pisarek said that Prattis could apply for a variance, but the application alone costs $1,000.
“We’re not here to go after her, to hurt her, to take money from her or to prevent her from feeding kids that need the food,” Pisarek insisted.
Since the story was first reported earlier this week, offers from residents wanting to help have poured in, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Over $3,000 has been pledged so far. A Facebook group and online Indiegogo campaignhope to raise even more. The Center City law firm Dilworth Paxson L.L.P. has also offered to represent Prattis free of charge.
Acting solicitor Murray Eckell told the Inquirer that the negative publicity Chester Township has received was unfair.
“Suppose a child gets hurt on her property,” Eckell remarked. “Will the family sue the township? What if somebody gets food poisoning?”
“What she is doing is commendable. The township isn’t against children getting free food. But if we don’t have laws, there’s chaos. It’s a difficult situation for the township to be in.”
2420 Notes/ Hide
- hyphenatedificate likes this
- gingerteetas reblogged this from wobbuffette
- bkquk likes this
- wobbuffette reblogged this from princesslilitu
- charlotteblu-loves-rainbows likes this
- s00zee likes this
- bethanysworld likes this
- bbchasruinedmylife likes this
- queenansleis likes this
- szarkaijarlaxle reblogged this from princesslilitu
- ohmygohan likes this
- space-kase likes this
- reaby reblogged this from princesslilitu
- jebelda reblogged this from princesslilitu
- princesslilitu reblogged this from thresher-cat
- thresher-cat reblogged this from brienneofkobol
- thresher-cat likes this
- firefly-in-the-dark likes this
- nonefi reblogged this from drmadwoman
- cynicdeviant likes this
- kittiesandcutetitties likes this
- kittiesandcutetitties reblogged this from tehluloon
- tehluloon reblogged this from chinky-nomore
- mariatheles reblogged this from king-of-vagabonds
- an-inadequate-tumble likes this
- khidlozano reblogged this from chinky-nomore
- chinky-nomore reblogged this from brienneofkobol
- apussycat reblogged this from politi-gal and added:
- drmadwoman reblogged this from brienneofkobol
- drmadwoman likes this
- king-of-vagabonds reblogged this from theladyisafuckingdandy
- king-of-vagabonds likes this
- hetmarriage likes this
- theladyisafuckingdandy reblogged this from brienneofkobol
- brienneofkobol reblogged this from politi-gal
- brienneofkobol likes this
- politi-gal reblogged this from fuckyeahprogressivepolitics
- neshjoe reblogged this from thevegancrow
- neshjoe likes this
- signofamotekun reblogged this from whitegenocide
- whydressinborrowedrobes reblogged this from adventuresofastudentteacher
- yooluhvie reblogged this from daniellemertina
- brussemaestro reblogged this from theocproject
- theocproject reblogged this from wontbetelevised
- peaceloveandkiki reblogged this from wontbetelevised
- jace-of-all--trades likes this
- dreammerchant likes this
- wontbetelevised reblogged this from wretchedoftheearth