Pennsylvania woman faces $600 a day fine for feeding needy children
A woman in Chester Township, Pennsylvania has been warned that she could be fined as much as $600 a day if she continues to feed needy children in her community.
Angela Prattis has been feeding lunch to as many as 60 children a day under a program funded by the state’s Department of Education and administered by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. But because Prattis allowing the children to come to her home, Chester Township has threatened fines of $600 a day if she continues to hand out the lunches, which consist of a sandwich, fruit and milk.
Prattis told KPLC that the town sent her a letter stating she needed a variance to use her personal residence.
“It’s a letter stating, ‘shut it down or face a $600 fine,’” she explained.
“We’re talking about children,” Prattis added. “Children. It’s unbelievable. They’ve never once said anything to me in reference to what to do to be in the right standing with the township.”
Chester Township business manager Bill Pisarek said that Prattis could apply for a variance, but the application alone costs $1,000.
“We’re not here to go after her, to hurt her, to take money from her or to prevent her from feeding kids that need the food,” Pisarek insisted.
Since the story was first reported earlier this week, offers from residents wanting to help have poured in, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Over $3,000 has been pledged so far. A Facebook group and online Indiegogo campaignhope to raise even more. The Center City law firm Dilworth Paxson L.L.P. has also offered to represent Prattis free of charge.
Acting solicitor Murray Eckell told the Inquirer that the negative publicity Chester Township has received was unfair.
“Suppose a child gets hurt on her property,” Eckell remarked. “Will the family sue the township? What if somebody gets food poisoning?”
“What she is doing is commendable. The township isn’t against children getting free food. But if we don’t have laws, there’s chaos. It’s a difficult situation for the township to be in.”
2417 Notes/ Hide
- autoalchemist likes this
- batman-poses likes this
- redrover-redrover reblogged this from murtunacaptor
- hyphenatedificate likes this
- gingerteetas reblogged this from wobbuffette
- bkquk likes this
- charlotteblu-loves-rainbows likes this
- s00zee likes this
- bethanysworld likes this
- rosysam likes this
- jerseyxprincess likes this
- ohmygohan likes this
- space-kase likes this
- totalhipsterdickbag likes this
- nonefi reblogged this from drmadwoman
- cynicdeviant likes this
- kittiesandcuteittybitties likes this
- kittiesandcuteittybitties reblogged this from tehluloon
- tehluloon reblogged this from chinky-nomore
- mariatheles reblogged this from king-of-vagabonds
- an-inadequate-tumble likes this
- trippypepe reblogged this from chinky-nomore
- apussycat reblogged this from politi-gal and added:
- drmadwoman likes this
- king-of-vagabonds reblogged this from theladyisafuckingdandy
- king-of-vagabonds likes this
- hetmarriage likes this
- politi-gal reblogged this from fuckyeahprogressivepolitics
- angelsofgrace reblogged this from thevegancrow
- angelsofgrace likes this
- lorderebus reblogged this from santabastard
- whydressinborrowedrobes reblogged this from adventuresofastudentteacher
- yooluhvie reblogged this from daniellemertina
- vitalrelief reblogged this from theocproject
- theocproject reblogged this from wontbetelevised
- peaceloveandkiki reblogged this from wontbetelevised
- jace-of-all--trades likes this
- younggiftedafricanqueen likes this
- dreammerchant likes this
- wontbetelevised reblogged this from wretchedoftheearth
- thatruthishere likes this
- minusthebox reblogged this from asugarprince
- atrapforfools likes this
- letstalkwithc-chass likes this
- crochetadventures likes this
- asagurble reblogged this from lobsterpaper
- therealdomole reblogged this from my-name-is-jello
- notflowers likes this
- whyesrat likes this