Federal law enforcement officials and D.C.’s Metropolitan Police Department are investigating a Wednesday morning shooting at the offices of the Family Research Council in downtown D.C.
The alleged assailant, identified by WRC-TV/NBC4 as 28-year-old Floyd Corkins, of Herndon, Va., was brought into custody. Corkins, according to WRC-TV, parked his car at a Metrorail station in Falls Church, Va., and rode a train downtown.
According to WRC-TV/NBC4’s Jackie Bensen, sources say Chick-fil-A promotional materials were found in the suspect’s backpack, in addition to “2 loaded 15-round ammo clips.”
His weapons were purchased legally in Virginia, the news station reported.
In a statement released Wednesday night, the FBI confirmed that the assailant taken into custody was Corkins and that he was being held on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon.
MPD Police Chief Cathy Lanier called the security guard a hero, the Examiner reported. “As far as I’m concerned, the security officer here is a hero,” Lanier said, according to the newspaper. “The person never made it past him.”
The security guard was reportedly conscious following the shooting, according to WJLA-TV/ABC7, which said that the guard was able to relay information about the incident to police.
Fox News cited sources early Wednesday afternoon who said the gunman “expressed disagreement with the conservative group’s policy positions.”
Talking Points Memo reported that two FBI officials “cautioned reporters that early eyewitness accounts are often inaccurate and said it was too early to speak to the suspect’s motivation.”“We don’t know enough yet about him … or mentally what he’s thinking,” said James McJunkin, assistant director in charge of the FBI’s Washington field office.
24 Notes/ Hide
- majd3st1ny likes this
- kiwi-chi reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- hcshannon likes this
- backyardgoldmine reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- victor2k likes this
- catherinephung reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- questionall likes this
- laserbarrageinquirer likes this
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- feelslikeimalive likes this
- sunnewsnetworksnn likes this
- irvin-rojas likes this
- mediaresearchcenter reblogged this from huffingtonpost and added:
- ifilikeityoulikeit likes this
- nationaljournal reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- thepoliticalfreakshow reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- huffingtonpost posted this